And again Bernardacci… People of Chisinau by right are proud of architectural shape of an old city - ancient Greek church, the Municipal duma building, a water tower - all these structures in the middle of XIX century have given to capital of Bessarabia (Moldova) really the European kind. Any êèøèíåâåö will name the author of these products of architectural art, certainly, Alexander Bernardatstsi. But very few people knows about its less known work - a complex of buildings of the Kostjuzhensky clinic for insane persons. It has designed 11 pavilions, the house for the personnel, summer barracks and workshops, a theatre building.
The history of occurrence of idea of building of a clinic in Êîñòþæåíàõ originates in 80th years of XIX century. By then the young provincial capital could get not only gentlemen sauntering on the European manners and flirting ladies, but also a quantity of insane persons of the townspeople requiring hospitalisation. Certainly, the problem existed for a long time. But, with growth and city development there was a real requirement to transfer a clinic for insane persons from street Hospital (nowadays Volumes ×îðáý), become too recovered, for city line.
The Zemsky justice began to strive on the building licence of a separate hospital and soon its efforts have crowned success. From imperial treasury it has been allocated about 600 thousand roubles, and local patrons of art of have shown. Projects on the declared competition it has been submitted enough, but the choice has fallen on Alexander Bernardatstsi already known at that time. Cost of its services was though and above average, but also the project of the future hospital was extraordinary good. By 1903 building was conducted by the full speed, one behind one cases grew. Red tile roofs cheerfully gleamed in sun beams, contrasting with a white shell rock of walls - a favourite material of the architect. The clinic on a general view reminded more Crimean princely residence, instead of a provincial hospital. Soon here the first patients have been translated, staff of doctors and sisters is fully completed.
The head physician of a clinic - Anatoly Kotsovsky became soul as now it is accepted to be expressed, collective. Thanking its efforts the Kostjuzhensky hospital began to develop so promptly, that by 1908 has turned to the best psychiatric medical institution in all Russian empire. The doctor Kotsovsky trusted in positive influence of physical activities, developed and nowadays popular theories of adaptation of recovering patients to a society. Patients successfully worked in vineyards and the kitchen gardens belonging to a clinic, sewed and embroidered in workshops, put fine performances at hospital theatre. It now êèøèíåâöà will cause a derisive smile in any the offer «to go in Êîñòþæåíû on representation». Then the city nobility perceived each performance with delight, the prime minister impatiently waited. And the symphonic society which has appeared in the first decade of the XX-th century in Kishinev, is obliged by the origin to an orchestra of the Kostjuzhensky clinic, organised all the same doctor Kotsovsky. Townspeople so liked symphony concerts of recovering patients, that musicians began to invite to act in a city, and then have simply adopted idea of an orchestra.
Certainly, not all structures of a clinic could go through military bombardments and such frequent earthquakes in our places. But the part of structures has escaped not looking on what. So be not too lazy, go. There is, than to admire.
photo by Valerii Corcimari