The Tsyganeshtsky monastery is located in one of the most beautiful places of Moldova. On a wood edge where pines and oaks hide under the crones set of birds where still are found косули and wild boars, it is proud uplifts up the dome a monastic temple. Here, in Цыганешть it is necessary to come in clear, serene day - then you will be rewarded by amazing geometry of pine needles against the transparent blue sky, a fresh, invigorating smell of needles and a cheerful bird's twitter. Here flocks of carps, gleaming silvery scales, with cruiser speed cross a water smooth surface of pool. Direct kittens cannot like solemnity of atmosphere in any way and cheerfully somersault on beds. All rejoices live so, probably, knowingly this place has once been selected under building of a sacred monastery.
The legend says, that the first church has appeared here in 1741. It was constructed by boyar Mihaj Deuka for the Christians who were taking cover in neighbouring woods from attacks of Tatars. It is visible, the place has attracted, people have got used to come here with the sorrows, and in 1846, hardly more than in hundred years, here were will erect a stone temple in honour of Assumption Пресвятой of the Virgin. Under other data the first timbered church has been constructed in 1725 on the means offered the boyar Magnifier Денку and peasants of communes Кобылка and Цыганешты. Later it has been taken down and on its place the new, stone church executed in Russian style is constructed. The abbot of a monastery celibate priest Victor became the organizer and the inspirer of these changes, and means are offered by parishioners. The second monastic church, winter, has been erected only in the middle of XIX century. The tomb of its founder here, an inscription in Russian says, that «, почившего on April, 15th, 1887 the body of Christian Hristofora Garadzhii Iskrova, the founder of this temple here is based upon 60 year of a life». By time of building of the second church which, by the way, has been executed already in the Moldavian style, the monastery owned 50 десятинами the earths, pair water-mills, gardens, vineyards and several houses in Kishinev. Inhabitants of a monastery did not sit without business: lakes round a monastery were full some fish, the extensive apiary gave fine honey, the mill ground a flour not only for monastic needs - grain peasants from all neighbouring villages here carried. The monastery has collected the richest library of spiritual products on старославянском, Romanian, Latin, Greek. Conducted trade relations with a nearby female monastery Tabora. Parishioners came to pray, consult, enjoy here waters from a source - by the way, it, despite of everything, has remained till now. Once a week water in a source is consecrated, and then parishioners type and bear it with itself on houses - it is considered, that it possesses medical effect. But business not only in prays: on researches of chemists and ecologists, the structure of water of a monastic source is really unique. Pure, without the excessive impurity, sated with mineral salts, it is very useful and pleasant on taste.
The life in a monastery flew easy and measuredly up to the Great Patriotic War. It has not passed by: the monastic belltower has lost the bells which metal has gone for needs of front, the part of monastic buildings has been damaged. As the mute witness of those events the cemetery located near to a monastery serves. After the front line has receded, monks have collected bodies of the killed soldiers and have buried them according to Christian customs. And it is unimportant, who they were, these men and young men - orthodox Moldavians, Russian, Ukrainians or Catholics Germans and Poles - all read the burial service and buried, be it defenders or enemies.
Like war, a life hardly would end became easier, but has passed hardly more than 10 years, and in 1956 the decree on which monasteries were subject to closing has been published, and monks should or enter local collective farms, or were sent on settlement to Siberia. The Tsyganeshtsky monastery has been closed in 1960. The monastic complex was comprehended by a fate almost all Moldavian monasteries - here have opened a clinic for sick of an alcoholism. By the way, till now, near one of not repaired buildings it is possible to see the rests of a stretcher, beds and other simple hospital utensils.
Monastery revival is dated 1993. Now the life in a monastery was already adjusted - there is a economy, services are conducted in both temples, sacred brothers work in hothouses, on a farmyard, fish and constantly work over repair of monastic premises. Sacred hallows are stored in a monastic temple, to bow which parishioners from all country go.
By the way, this monastery has one feature - all monks living in it, to a postthreshing barn were married, had children. But, whether not having sustained burdens of a wordly life, whether for other reasons, постриглись in monks. And now, if you разговорите one of monks, on a secret tell to you, that secret dream of sacred brothers was the high fence which would protect a monastery from visitings of women, be it parishioners or easier tourists. Certainly, it not seriously, but nevertheless while the dream did not become a reality, visit in the Tsyganeshtsky monastery - believe, this one of those few most beautiful places about whom it is possible to tell, that it is closer to the God, than others.
photo by Valerii Corcimari