Walking through the old town. Old Chisinau is known for its quiet green lanes, curves, sidewalks, buried in the ground starymidomami. But among this cozy abandonment sometimes you can see a real pearl. Idle tourist, used to wander in the upper part of the old city and the freeze in surprise: that the building, where, who built? Yes, even hundreds of questions will ask - would someone answer. About one such building would like to tell. It is located on the corner of Bucharest and Sergey Lazo (German and Podolsk in the old style). Now here City Children's hospital, and once in the late XIX century was an ordinary wasteland - it was in fact almost the outskirts of the city. In 1870, the vacant lot was purchased Chisinau merchant KA Mimi - City council just sold the plots margins. A few years later, but, rather, in 1878 on the site of a vacant lot is adorned magnificent mansion: lace balustrades playfully set off a roof, bay windows adorned the corner, a small dome attached to a building a certain solemnity and pomposity. Richly, though slightly pretentious, but nice - that's like this the house of Mimi (as he was nicknamed by the people) to the public. However, soon left only the name - the house was rented out under the Excise Department.
The fact that excises at the time only began to exist, nalogooblozhzheniya reform, which resulted in imposed this tax passed in 1860. Yes, before this incurs a cost on the trade in alcohol, tobacco, sugar, but the very concept of excise taxes, and even more so Excise has not been. But as trade grew, taxes assigned to the newly created office, thereby slightly unloaded the police. I must say that the responsibilities (and opportunities!) Excise officials differed little from the functions of police. Excise officer was free to enter the business premises distilleries, tobacco factories, to check whether the excise tax paid, to identify violations, confiscate the machines and equipment for which was not paid an excise tax, and even suspend its power production. So, the introduction of the new administration quickly paid for itself, and has brought considerable benefit to the treasury. Perhaps that is why City council allowed itself to a high amount of rent a luxurious mansion under service Excise.
However, officials joy did not last long: soon under pressure from the merchant's wife Mimi decided to sell the mansion. Was soon found and the buyer - Municipal Charities, which quickly reequipped space for children's hospital. The rooms were quite spacious, high ceilings, but even this did not save the hospital from the grouping and overcrowding in young patients. By the time medical services are not worth less than now, add to this ongoing need a fairly large segment of the inhabitants of Chisinau - so there were always many willing to go for treatment in a charitable institution. Kids is not an exception: chamber of six - eight beds, with the obligatory iconostasis in the red corner. Ward, where the freely fit all of the suffering, procedural, and even operating. Was treated here from all - from the broken heads and burns to angina pectoris and fever. Effectiveness of treatment is unknown, but at least the children received regular, fairly nutritious food - it has acted as a medicine.
The most interesting thing in this story is that the building not only survived to our time, but continues to serve the youngest patients. However, a couple of years ago it seemed that this wonderful house, which had survived even during the war, collapse of one blast of wind. But nothing happened - still found the funds for its restoration. It is a pity, balustrades not survived - disappeared finished image.
Photo by Valerii Corcimari